Friday 28 March 2014

Vintage Goodwin/Williamson interview

Before we owned our own VCR, back in the 1980s, at the very lowest point of the Star Wars merchandising machine, the Comic book adaptation of "The Empire Strikes Back" (together with three 5-minute reels of scenes from the first Star Wars on Super 8mm) has been my only gateway toLucas' galaxy Far Far Away...

As a kid I thought this adaptation was rather unsatisfactory, because some things were not exactly as in the movie.

As I got more knowledgeable about how incredibly HARD it is to make a good comic book adaptation of a movie (especially when it has to be released together with the movie and the movie has a lot of post production to go through) I must admit that this is one of the finest examples ever produced.

Nowadays I'm no longer a big Star Wars fan, but I will forever love Al Williamson and Archie Goodwin.

With thanks to Pete Doree and his Blog The Bronze Age Of Comics




No comments: